Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Gospel and Singleness by David Platt

        This sermon was suggested to me by a friend. I will be honest I was eager to listen but I was slightly afraid of what I might hear...


Such as  "Wait for that husband or wife" "Trust God to bring them when it's time" wait....wait...WAIT! And that's all good yes, we should wait and be patient! But what about in the meantime? For a single person the focus shouldn't be marriage or finding someone it should be Christ.   


 As for me marriage and children is all I have ever truly and consistently wanted since I was 11-12 years olds. Even as recent as a year ago I could hardly form the word "Single" in my head! I didn't want to hear it. It was the most scary word in existence to me. The thought of being alone was terrifying (which I know I wouldn't be because my father promised that I can live with him till I am 70 so no worries there) but still it's not quite the same as having your very own family, helping build a dynasty, forming the next generation. (so I thought...) I found myself discontent waiting on what seemed to be a future good when CHRIST is my future good! It is time for change of heart, a RIGHT prospective! So, to sit here and say I am "jubilant" about singleness is and act of God and He used this sermon to bring so much peace and purpose in being single that it brings tears to my eyes! Are there a few place in the sermon that make you chaff in you seat? Yes, a little but hang in there! It's not what you think! It's a glorious revelation! SINGLENESS IS NOT A CURSE! Did you know that??? I didn't until this sermon! 


"....And the unmarried or betrothed woman is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit. But the married woman is anxious about worldly things, how to please her husband." 
1Cor 7:34 


Marriage is not bad nor should we frown on it, but I now see singleness as if God is saying to me "I want you for myself (either forever or until He says you will better serve Me and my Kingdom with this young man than by yourself.) It doesn't change the fact that it IS still a desire but it's not my focus! The Kingdom and how I can better serve my Savior is my focus! I speak with young girls often on this topic and it scary to see that finding a husband is almost (if not more) important than God! Though the was me a few years ago! IT'S WORSHIP BROTHERS AND SISTERS! And we have been wrong, very wrong! We are robbing God of His glory and giving it to a HUMAN an unperfected, unreliable, selfish being who controls nothing. I say this in love! We are the next generation whether we marry or not as it is stated in this sermon if our focus is Christ will have a heritage and a heritage of those who God allowed to be touch by our lives! It's not the end! I promise its the beginning of a glorious end, an end that will result in an eternity of glorious worship to our Heavenly Father! Satisfaction beyond anything we can comprehend! 


I don't know about you but I am excited! I pray you will be too and not only in singleness but get out there. 


Being single for God's glory and if you marry be married for the glory of God!


Ok so the sermon you have read this novel to get to:
http://pseudo01.hddn.com/vod/brookhills.agroup/audio/51.mp3


The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you. My love be with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen.      ~ 1Cor 16:23-24



No comments:

My photo
Born and raised in North East Florida I am the oldest of four and a graduated homeschooler. My family and I moved to East Tennessee in the summer of 2007 (the beginning of my senior year of high-school). First and foremost, I am an unworthy sinner that was shown the ugliness of sin, and my gracious Heavenly Father brought me to repentance (James 4:6-10) and now by His Grace I am being sanctified. Now I am a young woman striving to serve my God and Savior Jesus Christ. I long for a stronger walk with Him. ~ Semper Reformanda and Solo Scriptura

Followers